Thursday, March 31, 2011

creative cultures 7

I first met Blake - actually Blake's mom - when I was in 6th grade. I was in the hallway at Westminster during my Reading class, with Sandra & Chris, 2 of our great friends. Mrs.Airdo (affectionately refered to as Krazy Karol - only sometimes!!!) approached us and said she had a son and 2 twin daughters, they were moving from Illinois and if we liked WA. Me, being Miss.WA-enthusiast, completely convinced her to send them to Westminster (& become my besties). I also remember our band teacher (yes, I played the trumpet, so did this CC) announcing to our class that the next year we'd have a few new students. He mentioned twins, Blake & Lauren, only to have Weston chirp in, "that sounds like a BOY!". I mentioned that at their rehersal dinner!

Junior High Volleyball, '99

Senior Year Spirit Night, 2003
The next summer we finally got to all meet and they fit in so perfectly. They were athletic, so fun, social & totally precious. They were a huge part of my teenage years & remain so now that we are all in our twenties & spread out. I used to love hanging out at their house with their parents & brother. It was always funny when I went anywhere with their family, because I was the tallest one in the "family". Blake and I loved orange soda, our senior year art class, sitting together in Chapel, going to McDonalds for lunch & Jack's on anyone's birthdays! We had tons of beach days, slumber parties and dealing with the oh so dramatic high school sagas. We stay in touch via gchat, twitter, our blogs, weddings & south Florida reunions. I am so happy that Blake & Weston ended up together, they are two of my favorite people, ever! Meet Blake
Weston & Blake
A. Stage of life, year in school, major:
Interior Designer for Storetech+Co. I head up their residential department! I majored in Interior Design in college with and Art Minor. Although i initially went to study history and go to law school i just couldn't at the time see myself doing this for what we like to call forever...so interior design it was. seeing that i always had an eye for things that patterned :) although lately i will confess i have an itch to go to law school and do the whole criminal minds thing! well sort of! ha! or maybe i just like to argue!



S. Details about you :
about me. hmm...why is it so hard to talk about me?! well i am half way to 50! i have almost been married to my seventh grade sweetheart for one whole year now! its been the best year ever! well, i lie its been the best 13 years ever with him! i couldn't imagine my life without him! Never A Dull Moment! I like to paint on rainy days. I'm definitely a doodler. I talk to my twin sister pretty much all day long, couldn't imagine if we didn't. I want a french bull dog or a golden-doodle, heck i just want a dog to call my own.


L. Where you are based, where you are going, where you want your work to go:
I am based in sunny south florida right on the beach! yup thats right, i wake up to the ocean every morning. where am i going? anywhere i suppose! my work... well i want my work to go where its meant to go and heck make a pretty penny while im at it. i dont want to limit myself, ever.


2. Favorite meal:
this is hard. i'm such a foodie! its a problem! so ill go with whats my biggest craving these days... SUSHI and steamed mussels in coconut milk with curry and jalepenos! Yup its pretty much amazing! 
25th Birthday Martini
3. Favorite beverage: as a girl i loved yoohoo. i could go for a yoohoo right about now! now that im grown up... i'd have to say a dirty martini is my signature drink of choice!

4. What is your first memory of being creative? i dont have a good memory.

Blake painted this flower which became her wedding invitation!
5. What or who inspires you? im always inspired by things i see and brainstorming.

6. Favorite quote that inspires your work: these days... Keep Calm and Carry on.

Inspired by Rothko
7. Favorite thing about your artwork: its my outlet.

8. Challenges about your artwork: me, myself, and i. I am my toughest critic.
 
Celebrating her 25th in NYC & his first time in the Big Apple
9. Your dream piece of art to create: my dream home!

10. Favorite article of clothing/accessory/shoes : dresses. i love dresses. even if dont need them or have room for them in my closet they find their way home with me! favorite accessory, my grandmothers engagement ring and wedding band. for sentimental reasons. she gave it to her youngest daughter, my mom. and my mom gave it to me! {aww}

Graduation present for her brother & his wife - both graduated from FAU
11. Where can we see more of you? Cotton Tales
12. Can we buy you? maybe, yes, coming soon.... sorelle paper & prints.

Partners In Crime/Womb-mates, celebrating their 25th at ACE Hotel in NYC
13. What are your hopes & dreams for your work? work with my sister more and expand our business, watch it grow. have my own firm or be self-employed. design YOUR home! see hard work get paid off.


14. Anything else we should know? i try to think of one good idea every day! you know like the next big thing ;) haha

Acrylic on canvas, Christmas present for her sister
If you would love to be featured as a Creative Culture or would like to nominate someone, just comment on this post & I will be in touch!

1 comment:

Lauren & Derek said...

teared the whole way through this!
love this and love how you write our memories and capture them in these posts!