Thursday, March 24, 2011

creative cultures 6

This week's CC has been in my life since the ripe age of 4. I remember meeting Lindsey on our first day of kindergarten, we were both wearing balloon suits. Forget what those are?


thanks Mom (& Margaret) for helping us bond by being completely mortified to be wearing a floral onesie.

Lindsey & I got in a trouble a lot, had a lot of fun & came up with some pretty adventurous things in our days at Bethany, Westminster and even Florida State. When we were about 8 we almost burnt a whole campsite down, we learned to smoke cigars together (also at age 8) & she glued glitter all over her entire face. In high school, she got a stomach bug from hell on our summer camping trip & we painted our bodies blue for Spirit Night during homecoming week. And then in college, she died her hair so dark black that it looked purple. The best part was that she did it on Halloween and people thought it was just for a costume. Not so much.

Camping trip from hell, 2002
Besides being a liability, Lindsey is a wonderful friend to myself and my family. One of our dogs is named after her, true story. She is beyond creative & should just really have her own reality show. Without further embarassment or employment hazard, meet Lindsey. Love you Midnight Star.


Such a pretty gal
1. A/S/L with a twist:

A. Stage of life, year in school, major
24 year old SWF, two years out of college


S. Details about you
Having graduated from the great Florida State University a couple of years ago, I am now paddling my way through the uncharted waters of the small-business world.


L. Where you are based, where you are going, where you want your work to go
I am currently making my home in sunny South Florida in the washed up, has-been spring break destination town of Fort Lauderdale. While I don’t have any imminent plans to pack up and move, I do love to bounce around the globe whenever possible. Photo-adventures on the docket for this summer include: Riding a motorcycle across India and visiting the Grand Canyon.

2. Favorite meal:
I love a good Chicken Tikka Masala.


Recognize these two cuties?
 3. Favorite beverage:
My goodness, my Guinness!

4. What is your first memory of being creative?
One of my family’s favorite pastimes is watching old home videos. One such video showcases my first documented artistic endeavor. It started with a children’s science experiment kit, my dad, and my baby sister. It ended with me getting a spanking and sent to my room for smearing noxious chemicals all over the table and sister.



I fancy myself something of a curious scientist/adventurer. My life’s goals are to discover/create a new element and/or have my photograph featured in National Geographic.

Lindsey did SugarBump's (& CC5's) wedding
5. What or who inspires you?
I am literally inspired by hundreds of things one day, and maybe nothing at all the next. One day a couple of weeks ago I got stood up for lunch (it happens). That day happened to be on a collision course with creativity. So I made a little phone-shot video of my lonely little lunch break which ended up not being quite so lonely. See it here: http://vimeo.com/19510888


Also, I watch a lot of Vimeo videos. DSLR HD video is a bright, fresh frontier for the visual arts. This one is my favorite: http://vimeo.com/14074949
Inspiration is a state of mind. And I find that when those creative receptors in my brain are swung open like a pair of stately barn doors, it’s full-tilt boogie, baby.

 6. Favorite quote that inspires your artwork:
“So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” –Mark Twain. What a stud.



I love this quote because it not only inspires me to do and to create passionately, but to live passionately as well. This quote promises that life is rife with adventure and swordfights and explosions of color, so long as we keep our eyes and our brains and our hearts open.
nifty huh? Armstrong wedding, 2011
7. Favorite thing about your artwork:
Versatility. The most alluring thing about the photographic medium is that it is constantly changing—constantly in flux. The technologies of photography are in a constant state of evolution. It is the ultimate safeguard against boredom, my arch nemesis.


8. Challenges about your artwork:
Conception. The most difficult part of any project is to first conceive of it. To reach deeply into the infinite realm of possibility and pull out an idea. A concept. Something crisp and fresh and shiny. There is an entire branching universe of materials, conceptions, and inspiration. The permutations of the three are endless. I often find that it is difficult to synthesize inspiration when it’s time to crank out a project. That, my dear, is my greatest challenge.

Limestone Coasters (not cookies).
9. Your dream piece of art to create:
I’ve recently become dazzled by the concept of transferring photographs to plywood using what’s called a “photographic caulk transfer”. Its fun because it gets me out from behind my monstrous computer screen and allows me to combine the versatility of digital photography with the unique process of working with wood. I was recently in a wedding for a dear friend, and made her these charming little limestone coasters with photos from her blissful day using the image transfer method.


My dream would be to take this method and make it gargantuan. I’m talking four-foot-by-four-foot panels. Maybe three of them. Sublime.

10. Favorite article of clothing/accessory/shoes:
I can really get into a good chunky necklace and a floppy vintage leather shoulder-bag. Mmhmm.
Top of Limestone Coasters
11. Where can we see more of you?
A few of my favorite collections can be seen at lindseygrace.com. Or on my blog at http://lindseygracephotography.wordpress.com/. I can also be spotted causing mischief of one kind or another in and around the Fort Lauderdale area.

12. Can we buy you?
This sounds a lot like something that might happen in an unlit parking lot next to a dumpster. But yes! You can! Based on the breadth of work I’ve done in the past, it is impossible to create generalized packages for clients. My work is priced and specified in a way that is tailored to each client individually.

13. What are your hopes & dreams for your work?
I love working in print and would love to do it more. I remember looking at TIME Magazine’s person of the year—Vladimir Putin (my celebrity crush. Don’t judge), a couple of years ago and thinking “someone was behind the camera to capture this incredible portrait. That could be me.” For every extraordinary photograph, there is a bright and brilliant eye on the other side of the glass.

Couple portrait, 2010
14. Anything else we should know?
I’ve had three black eyes and Bell’s Palsy all in the last three months. If that’s not the most interesting thing that’s happened to me in the last six months, I don’t know what is.

Life is an adventure. And when it’s not an adventure, it’s a big wild dance party. So kick up your heels and get to it.

Cheers, Compatriots!

If you would love to be featured as a Creative Culture or would like to nominate someone, just comment on this post & I will be in touch!

& just because they make me smile...
2 new whiddon girls, Molly & Scout (Scout & Molly?)

3 comments:

Emily Elizabeth said...

Linds, I love seeing your work! So talented, really! And BTW...I was on that 2002 camping trip...and yes, it was from Hell.

mar adentro said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsey Grace said...

Ems! You popped up on my minifeed the other day, and I had forgotten how gorgeous you are. Keep on slayin' em, giiiiirl.