Tuesday, February 1, 2011

beach to snow in under 90 miles

On Friday, after going to Chick-fila for Friday date night, J & I met up with one of my friends from home (YEY!) Her boyfriend who is best friends with one of my sorority sisters (small world), has been living here since Thanksgiving because he works for Chick-fila & gets to travel for 18 months to open 9 different Chicks. He opened the USC Chick-fila (& told me to drop his name if when I go in for a discount, heyo!). His next stop is Knoxville & then he'll be back to open Chick on Hollywood Blvd! He said he'd invite us to the grand opening :) We met them at Yogurtland, and they invited us to go skiing with them on Sunday! Woo! We had no idea it was only 90 miles from us, and there is one even closer! But Big Bear is better!
Beach to Skiing in 90 miles!
Saturday morning I had to go back to VW to get my car (they came and picked me up, no charge, point for me.) But after that errand I was in full SKI DAY PREPARATION mode. Awesome Ski Jacket (from Goodwill): $9.99, water proof pants (from Goodwill): $3.49 (blue tags were 50% off). I decided I could not/did not want to spend a lot of money on this adventure. I was very pleased with myself for my outfit. We rented Ski & Snowboard packages at SportChalet for $28/$32 and were all set.
I made CrockPot Chicken Dumplings for dinner so we had lots of energy (carbs!) to burn on Sunday. We woke up at 6:30am (instantly thinking, "why are we doing this??"), got in the car, and 90 miles, an egg mcmuffin and a driver change (I was not very good driving up the mountain), we made it to Big Bear! It is a beautiful town that has a great lake in the center of it. There are 2 ski resorts and lots of cute little shops, restaurants and businesses to admire. I definitely would like to go back once the snow is gone.
This is what the view was like driving up:
Once getting to the slopes, we could not find Ashley & Stephen, cell phone service was terrible and I could not tell who anyone was with all the winter wear on! Jon and I did a few runs together (me not falling at all!!!!). After lunch, I was hurting. Ski boots are not comfortable, I was cold, my face was going numb & I fell a bunch of times on harder slopes. I was over it. Jon did a few more runs and then he was over it too. We had a wonderful time and it was great to get away for a day. The drive home was treacherous. I am so thankful we left when we did because there was no shortage of icey, snowy roads, sliding cars and dark weather ahead. It took us almost double the time to get home.


Monday morning we were both hurting. Still hurting today, but a little less. Oh, and now Jon has food poisoning :( He takes the bar in 21 days (usually sentences with "bar" & "21" are more fun, I know.) I am looking forward to all the studying being over!

12 days til Las Vegas
16 days til NYC
23 days til Andrea comes to see me!


No comments: